EXPATS AGAIN

EXPATS AGAIN! Experiencing other cultures while enriching our global view.

Followers

ME

My photo
Munich, Germany
I am married to the love of my life and am finally able to shower him with all of the attention he deserves. I am now retired and living the life here in Europe. I am an American, he is an Australian, and this is our second overseas address. The first was Shanghai, China and now Munich, Germany. Come along and live the life with us as we continue our adventure of discovering all Europe has to offer.

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Today is a Day For....

Today is a day especially designed for a hot cuppa and a good book. Luckily, I have both. The weather in Munich is unseasonably cold and terribly windy, so I have decided not to brave the elements and to coco0n instead.

I pulled out the toasty blanket throw and nestled in while savoring every word of my new novel: The Devil in the White City: Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America, by Erik Larson. It promises to be a great read about two men, Daniel H.Burnham, a key architect in the building of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair and the other, H.H. Holmes, a serial killer. It is a true story and the writer is particularly talented making the novel appear all the more imaginative. This is all I need to fill a chilly spring day.

Pictured above, to help me enjoy this read, is my single purchase from last weekend's "Theresienwiese," or Spring Festival. It is "Honig aus Deutschland," or Honey of Germany. Munich has a month of fairs and festivities beginning with the Strong Beer season in spring and goes through the start of summer, April - May, annually. It is different from our county fairs in that the Germans include the ubiquitous beer tents and gardens and include plenty of activities and playground equipment for all of the children. So, it truly is a family-centered event.

The honey I chose was "Akazienhonig" that translates to "Acacia Honey." It is delicious in tea, on toast, or in a desert recipe.




To make an otherwise bleak day even brighter, I set these blooms in water and put them in the kitchen window. It worked! How could you not walk into this room, view these vivid colors and not react positively? It's electrifying what they can do for your spirits. These are a particularly aromatic bunch lending an air of beauty and romance to the room.

I must be in a sentimental mood, as I'm writing about my day, I'm listening to "Tonight We Love," by Tony Martin. This is a song that peaked on the Billboard as #1 in 1946! Way, way before I was born. I read that the Platters revived it in 1960, but I was too busy playing tiddlywinks way back then to notice this song.

Some of you reading this probably remember this song well. As for me, I've just discovered it.

Here are some of the lyrics that just happen to fit my mood today:


A rose must remain with the sun and the rain

Or its lovely promise won't come true

To each his own, to each his own,

And my own is you.


What good is a song if the words just don't belong?

And a dream must be a dream for two

No good alone, to each his own

For me there's you


CHORUS


If a flame is to grow there must be a glow

To open each door there's a key

I need you, I know, I can't let you go

Your touch means too much to me


Two lips must insist on two more to be kissed

Or they'll never know what love can do

To each his own, I've found my own

One and only you


Beautiful lyrics, sentimental melody and a smokey saxaphone solo.
Yeah, it's been that kind of day.
But now, reality is calling and the pile of ironing is saying, "If you don't iron me, who will?"
Enough lounging and dreaming.
On to to the next task at hand. And that, folks, is life!

No comments: