EXPATS AGAIN

EXPATS AGAIN! Experiencing other cultures while enriching our global view.

Followers

ME

My photo
Munich, Germany
I am married to the love of my life and am finally able to shower him with all of the attention he deserves. I am now retired and living the life here in Europe. I am an American, he is an Australian, and this is our second overseas address. The first was Shanghai, China and now Munich, Germany. Come along and live the life with us as we continue our adventure of discovering all Europe has to offer.

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

BIRTHDAY WISHES, FOR HIM

Posted by PicasaToday is my husband's birthday. Happy birthday, honey!  it's "Pour Your Heart Out Wednesday," in less than a half hour, but I have to share with you just how wonderful my husband is each and every day.  This is going to be sappy and I apologize beforehand.  But I don't often get the opportunity to tell the world (the world is welcome to read this if they want, :-) what a wonderful man I married.  (Now would be a good time to click on another blog if you don't want to hear all of my husbands' praises, ;-o)

To begin, my husband is someone I trust implicitly. And I don't minimize the importance of his honesty--ever.  I believe he is a man of character and integrity. If he tells you something, you can trust that his word is his bond. I have the certainty that my husband tells me the truth. For this I am very thankful.

He is business man and a successful one.  I think this is because of his expertise, of course, but mostly due to his reputation. He is someone who is comfortable working alongside CEO's of major companies, but he is equally as comfortable working with the men and women in the many factories he has visited and managed. In other words, he does not distinguish between people. To him, they are all the same. I love this about him. 

Once you first meet my husband, you feel as though you have known him your whole life. I am always being told this by friends and acquaintances. It is another quality I love.

He is a smiler... constantly...(see photo above) and he has a knack for putting people at ease. I know he is gifted in being able to know what it is that the other person wants, and he sees to it that they get it. He is very aware of people around him and their needs.

I have never known him to put himself above anyone else.   More importantly, he tells me, often, that it is his greatest pleasure in life to see me smile. Now who couldn't love a man like that?  (And he does... make me smile, daily.)

He is funny, loves people (and dogs), and is able to engage me in the most stimulating and intellectual conversations. We can talk for hours about current events, scientific studies, politics, religion, you name it. I find him an astute observer of human nature and he has taught me much about people, their behavior, and life.

And, can he make me laugh. He has a keen sense of humor and is not afraid to use it to make others feel comfortable and to always lighten the mood.  He is laid back and never takes life too seriously; an easy man to live with--assuming you have an appreciation for quick wit and hilarity.

Oh, I don't want to forget.  He can get me to exercise! (And this is no small achievement, many have failed before him.) We bike together, walk together, golf together, swim together, and work out together. This has been a work in process, but he has not given up on me.  As a matter of fact, we didn't purchase a car here in Germany, so we would have no choice, but to exercise. Thank you, honey, even though I know you have to drag me out kicking and screaming, you have made me a better person.

Never have I known him to be selfish, proud, or greedy. He attributes this to being Australian.  I guess it's an Aussie social phenomenon (and the UK & Canada too) in which people of genuine merit are never set apart or praised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers.  Everyone being treated the same is preferred, unlike American culture where high-fives and fist bumps announce individual achievement, they try not to draw attention to themselves.  But I prefer to believe that it is his natural humility that allows him to be happy out of the limelight.  (Well, too bad today, honey!  I'm putting you on the pedestal where you belong.  You can go back and pretend you're just a regular guy tomorrow, ok?)

He is the most generous  exceedingly generous man I know. I could tell you story upon story about how much he has given to me and to others, but I won't because he would be so embarrassed. Often, he doesn't even tell me, his best friend, of the kindness he has shown to others.

I learn about it from them.

He is not weak; not a pushover, not by a longshot. If he is adamant about something and strongly advises me, to do something or not to do something, I take his advice immediately. I respect his judgment that much.  It is one of the things I love most about my husband, his strength. He is not afraid to say, "No." I respect him because I know that he is making a difficult decision, is not willing to give in, and in spite of my protestations, he will not allow me to sway his opinion.

In other words, he is a man I can look up to. He is strong emotionally, and once his mind is set, no amount of cajoling is going to change it. Plainly said, I cannot make him do what he doesn't want to do and it has made all the difference between us.

I also admire his wisdom. Yes, he is intelligent, but that is not the same as being wise. For example, he is wise, in my opinion, for he knows when not to speak, when to contemplate and think before answering, and when to tell people that he will get back to them with his decisions. Unlike me, who shoots from the hip and allows my emotions to control my better judgment, I can always rely on him for cool objectivity.

After having done his due diligence, he will then make the most fair and honest decision he can.

Yes, there is more!  (Don't say I didn't warn you.)  Hubby, believe it or not, has never complained, not one day in our marriage, about stress, about work, about pressure, or about anything, for that matter, being too difficult for him or for us. He is, by nature, a problem solver and honestly looks forward to finding solutions for life's challenges. And so far, he has not let me or our children down, but in fact, has added to our life's enjoyment by his "can do" attitude and his positivity. He is  the doughnut, where I tend to be the hole. Another reason I love this man--he has made me a better person.

My husband never gives up--EVER!

He is the most persistant and motivated person on the planet and is always setting goals for himself. This year, he wants to ride his bike up the highest mountain range in Germany.   He has been training for months to accomplish it and has clocked over a thousand K on his bike just this spring. And you know what?  He will do it!

This man inspires me so much and as you can tell, I am so very proud of him.

I will share with you a fact he would dismiss, but he is highly regarded in his field and has achieved ongoing success that continues to amaze me. I attribute this to his level of motivation and perseverance.  He is recognized by his colleagues for thinking in very practical ways, yet he is unique in that he can look at issues from different viewpoints. As a result, he has mentored people all over the globe in problem solving decisons--even though this is not a part of his job duties-- he does it willingly and freely.

It is no wonder that so many have come to him for advice over the years.

Today, I wish him a very happy birthday. I wish him continued peace and all of the happiness the world can hold. I honor him because he has never misguided me;  has inspired me. He may chose the more difficult path, but it is the righteous one, and together, we have been blessed because of it.


He is the true love of my life. You see, I was married once before.  For 17 years. After my divorce, I waited another 10 years for the "right man" to come along, as they say. There isn't a day that goes by that I am not grateful to my husband for all of the love he has shown me. I really do thank God for him. He is everything to me, my comfort, my joy, my steadfastness, my pride, my hope, and my true love. There is no doubt that I was blessed the day that I met him--no doubt at all.

Happy birthday, sweetheart.  May you have your hearts' desire.  Here's wishing you many, many, more birthdays to come!  I love you very much.

























3 comments:

irmie said...

This is a fantastic tribute to your husband on his birthday ! Enjoyed reading every sentence. We need to hear more from couples about their mate and the rewards of being happily married. Thank you.

Liz Mays said...

You are a lucky, lucky lady. He's funny and he smiles for starters is wonderful. His personality is fantastic!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Happy Birthday to your Hubby...great tribute to your mann! Love the picture with your golden beer! Hope his day is as special as he seems.