EXPATS AGAIN

EXPATS AGAIN! Experiencing other cultures while enriching our global view.

Followers

ME

My photo
Munich, Germany
I am married to the love of my life and am finally able to shower him with all of the attention he deserves. I am now retired and living the life here in Europe. I am an American, he is an Australian, and this is our second overseas address. The first was Shanghai, China and now Munich, Germany. Come along and live the life with us as we continue our adventure of discovering all Europe has to offer.

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

ARACHNIDAN PHOBIA







Last night, in bed, while I had been sleeping for hours, I felt something bite my leg.  It wasn't a painful bite, but I knew it was a bite, or did I?  I was in such a deep sleep that I thought I had been dreaming I had been bitten.  In my sleepy stupor, I moved my legs across the mattress sheet in a quick movement just to make sure that if it wasn't a dream, the intruder would leave, schnell!

All was well until I woke up this morning to find the crumpled body of the spider on my clean white sheets- YUK! 

In the future, I will know to WAKE THE HECK UP--dream or no dream. 

My fear of spiders is tantamount to my fear of nuclear annihilation.  I know they have a purpose on the planet--just not MY planet, thank you.  In fact, I abide them so much, that I have had to scroll down to write this post, just so I won't see that ungodly creature above. And I purposefully left the photo small--sorry, but even the thought of a large spider sends me into fits.  


Do you have an unreasonable fear? 

9 comments:

Shell said...

Ew, spiders! I don't see too many big ones around, so I'm not too worried about them.

I have a complete fear of my kids getting taken. I freak out if I can't see them.

Annie Stromquist said...

I feel almost the same way about wasps. Also, I'm scared to leave the bedroom closet door open at night because I'm sure someone will come out after I fall asleep.

Jul said...

My irrational fear is giant crowds. Makes Oktoberfest a little challenging!

Perfectly Unperfect said...

I don't have a fear of spiders. A lot of people seem to though. That is okay with me, because I have a HUGE fear of something.

Snakes!

I can't even look at a snake without getting the heebie jeebie's. To me they are not natural at all. They way they slither around everywhere.

*Shudder* Creepy!

Stopping by from Pour Your Heart Out.

Treff said...

LOL! I was frightened of spiders until we befriended an arachnologist in grad school. He was ADAMANT that most bites are NOT caused by spiders. He even made a website to dispel myths.

http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/spidermyth/myths/asleep.html#seespiders

However, seeing the spider on your bed was probably pretty good evidence!

Expats Again said...

I guess I'm not alone in having an irrational fear...just so you know...the photo is not the spider I found. The one I saw was small, but still, it's a spider, ewwww...
Snakes, wasps,yeah...I can relate.
Jul, I think I am also getting to hate crowds as time goes by. I do just about everything I can think of to avoid them. Haven't done Oktoberfest yet, but I don't think I'm missing much.

Liz Mays said...

Your spiders are my earwigs! I refuse to go barefoot from spring until fall because I'm afraid of stepping on one.

maryandsean said...

creepy! My fear is a spider crawling inside my mouth while I'm sleeping...

My husband and I are also expats, living in OKinawa. I saw that you'd been in Shanghai, which we've visited a few times in the past year.

Looking forward to reading more of your expat adventures!

Spudnik said...

I was bitten by a spider or SOMETHING before. For some reason the bite wound wouldn't heal but kept getting bigger. (We were in Brazil at the time.) Eventually a few weeks later when I was at home it got to the stage where I had to go to the doctor. "This hole in my leg is just getting bigger. I dunno what the story is with it." It wasn't disgusting as it was quite clean but I knew things weren't as they should be when I could see the bone. (It was on my shin so it wasn't really that big a hole.) Anyway, she gave me some antibiotics or something and it healed after that.
Generally nown I try make friends with spiders so they don't bite me.