EXPATS AGAIN

EXPATS AGAIN! Experiencing other cultures while enriching our global view.

Followers

ME

My photo
Munich, Germany
I am married to the love of my life and am finally able to shower him with all of the attention he deserves. I am now retired and living the life here in Europe. I am an American, he is an Australian, and this is our second overseas address. The first was Shanghai, China and now Munich, Germany. Come along and live the life with us as we continue our adventure of discovering all Europe has to offer.

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

Sunday, April 26, 2009

One Saturday in Munich


I was hoping the photo above would catch your attention (tee, hee). It's a frozen Latte Macchiato and it was delicious! A big scoop of vanilla ice cream was frozen and inserted into the drink with a straw. Yummy, as long as you didn't lift the straw. If you did, the whole scoop of frozen ice cream came with it!

This restaurant was spotted in Rosenheimer Platz. We didn't eat there, so we can't recommend it, foodwise; however, as far as ambiance goes, we would rate it a 10!

This Saturday we went to the Craft Fair and Beer Fest. These darling children were dressed for the festivities in their lederhosen and dirndls. I asked their mum if I could photograph them and before she could reply, they all rushed together and formed this pose. What cutie pies!

OK, I'm not quite sure what the picture above was advertising at the fair, but I had to shoot it because I thought it was a throwback from the past.. In my imagination, it looked a bit Art Deco. Since it was so colorful, I thought I'd share it with you. (Have you heard that shoulder pads, from the 80's are back??)

Saturday began by taking the train to the Rosenheimer Platz and then walking along this bike/walking path next to the Isar river. Once we had gone a good ten minutes along the river, we walked two blocks parallel to the river and found the Pauliner Beer Garden where the Craft Fest was in full swing.

Above is a photograph of one of the bridges criss-crossing the Isar. There isn't much water in this part of the river so the Germans lay down blankets and sunbathe in the creek bed. I guess when you don't have a beach nearby, any body of water will do.

Every once in a while you see an angler tossing out his line like the one below. Whether or not he actually catches a fish, I couldn't tell you. But this guy was in the zone and cast out, drew it back and cast out again oblivious to any passersby--especially those with cameras.

Another fisherman in the Isar river.

It wasn't all fishermen. The above photo was taken on the Isar as well. It is a pleasant surprise to come along such a sight. One minute you think you are in a contemporary city, and the next you're viewing castles and palaces. Amazing!
The above photo is a part of the craft fair. In some respects it reminded me of a County Fair back home (minus any animals--No, I take that back, there was a ride with live horses.)

Along the river we were treated to the scene above. I had to smile because when we lived in Shanghai, the older community had an outdoor chess game too.

It has been many years since I heard an organ grinder play. This guy had a stuffed monkey on top of his organ grinder--not quite the real deal, but it still brought back old memories.
The above photo was at the craft fair, but they are live flowers put into bouquets. The lilacs and roses gave off the most intoxicating scents.




One of our weakness', both Steve and myself, is bread (brot, in German). It is plentiful, freshly baked, and on nearly every corner. We couldn't avoid it if we tried, and we're decidedly not trying.


I had to photograph this statue on the corner of a building. I am sure that Europeans go about their daily chores entirely blinded by the treasures surrounding them. While I stand with my mouth agape looking at a bas relief or an architectural adornment, the Germans just keep on walking right by. Sad.



This little fellow was carted around the fair in his designer bag. When I took the photo, his owner decided to set him down, in his carry bag, in the center of the walkway. You couldn't help but "ooooh" and "awwww." You can tell he is a tiny bit spoiled and I swear he posed for his photo too!


This bit of art was decorating a pipe organ set out in the midway at the fair. Quite elaborate and very colorful, I couldn't resist it.

This hat drew my attention. The man was hawking baskets-- all kinds of baskets. There were handbags, hampers, picnic baskets, baby strollers, bird cages, and shelves, just to name a few. But he was the only one with a basket hat--surprising as that is.

Now this wee one had the right idea. Cuddle up with your favorite teddy bear and let mom and pop pull you around Munich while you take a well earned nap.
























































No comments: