EXPATS AGAIN

EXPATS AGAIN! Experiencing other cultures while enriching our global view.

Followers

ME

My photo
Munich, Germany
I am married to the love of my life and am finally able to shower him with all of the attention he deserves. I am now retired and living the life here in Europe. I am an American, he is an Australian, and this is our second overseas address. The first was Shanghai, China and now Munich, Germany. Come along and live the life with us as we continue our adventure of discovering all Europe has to offer.

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Dachau

Photos courtesy of "Creative Commons"

Steve and I took a drive this evening to Dachau. It was a 30 minute drive from Munich. Steve had seen it before and almost picked out a place for us to live there. He said it was full of life and lots of great shops and cafes. I asked him to take me there, but the real reason I wanted to go was to see the concentration camp.
Photo courtesy of "Creative Commons"

I don't know what I expected to see. I had heard that there was a memorial and that you could go and see the camp. At every turn I asked Steve, "Where do you think it is?" None of the buildings looked old enough and certainly none looked like a building I had seen in my history book. I was expecting a barracks type building, at the most. Instead, I saw a compound with a concrete wall that had barbed wire at the top. It was an errie feeling to be on that ground and my heart sank. I will never forget the day I saw Dachau.


Photo courtesy of "Creative Commons"

No comments: