EXPATS AGAIN

EXPATS AGAIN! Experiencing other cultures while enriching our global view.

Followers

ME

My photo
Munich, Germany
I am married to the love of my life and am finally able to shower him with all of the attention he deserves. I am now retired and living the life here in Europe. I am an American, he is an Australian, and this is our second overseas address. The first was Shanghai, China and now Munich, Germany. Come along and live the life with us as we continue our adventure of discovering all Europe has to offer.

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

Friday, April 24, 2009

It Can't Get Any Better than This!

I thought you might like to take a look at the neighbors homes now that the foilage has given our neighborhood a new look. Everything is in FULL bloom at the moment and we are basking in sunlight most of the time. Today is was full of sunshine, but it was darn right cold and windy. You would think with so much sun there would have been some heat with it! But, I shouldn't complain as the weather in Munich has been made to order for the last month.

Lilacs, tulips, wisteria, baby's breath, and lilly's of the valley have already poked their heads out of the earth to make themselves known. Trees, for the most part, are filling out their branches with feathery, green leaves and some are giving off the sweet scents of spring. Neighbors have begun their spring planting of annuals and perrinials in the certainty that spring is here to stay.

With all of this good weather, I have gone out and purchased a wheely bag as Steve calls it. Actually, it looks a lot like a carry on bag for traveling, but it's wheels are larger and it weighs next to nothing. Women here use it for grocery shopping, so, "When in Rome...."

Some of you have asked if I go to the small shops as I had hoped to when I was back in the States. Although I do have a choice, I have made the conscious effort to only shop at the local shops --avoiding the "chain" markets. Steve and I did this back in the States and it's just as good of an idea here, where the economy is showing the same downturn as the rest of the world.

The farmers bring their produce in each morning and there is an outdoor market with fresh vegetables, fruits, and flowers. There is a cheese shop, a fresh fish shop, bakeries, wine, chocolate, and a pastry shop in the same square surrounding the open air market.

This is the local "Viktualmarket" (I think I spelled that correctly) in the center of our little village. Notice the lady shopping with her "Wheely Bag?" Just imagine a much sleeker, younger, more stylish woman and you have me (in my dreams, LOL). During the day, most of the people in town are the retirees, like ME. (I still get excited at the thought that I don't ever have to work again--if I don't want to.) At 5:00 PM the place becomes mayhem. Train, bus, and subway commuters from all directions descend on their little village to do the quick shopping before heading home. Since all stores begin closing their doors at 6:00 PM sharp, you have to be a very skilled shopper to find what you need before closing time. Forget shopping on Saturday--all of Germany who works is considering the same thing. Forget shopping on Sunday. Nothing is open in Germany on Sundays except dining establishments.


Here is the local butcher's shop. I have some interesting stories to tell you about shopping for meat. Bottom line, shop in a store where the meat is fresh and not packaged. Also, take time to translate words like "Hackenfleisch" before you take it home and think it's chicken. I think you get the idea....lot's of wasted preparation time and a quick call to the pizza shop. We have a delightful Thai restaurant that delivers and they also make sushi. In a pinch, that will do as well.
Steve and I decided that we were going to make the most of the park in front of our building. From time-to-time we plan on taking a bottle of wine, some cheese, and
fresh baked bread across the street and enjoy this view.

Not a bad way to spend the evening and enjoy a glass of vino. We are very happy here and life seems to suit us just fine. If we get the urge for excitement, central city Munich is only a few train stops away. But so far, we are loving the tranquility and the beauty that is right outside our door.
One jump on our bike and we are transformed to another setting in another time. The best part is that you can stop wherever you wish, take out a book, and relax on a bench nearby. With bike trails everywhere and benches every quarter mile or so, it is an easy city to enjoy.

No comments: