EXPATS AGAIN

EXPATS AGAIN! Experiencing other cultures while enriching our global view.

Followers

ME

My photo
Munich, Germany
I am married to the love of my life and am finally able to shower him with all of the attention he deserves. I am now retired and living the life here in Europe. I am an American, he is an Australian, and this is our second overseas address. The first was Shanghai, China and now Munich, Germany. Come along and live the life with us as we continue our adventure of discovering all Europe has to offer.

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

Monday, October 31, 2011

PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS


Before 1917, in the U.S., you could send a postcard for only 1¢.  After 1918, the price went up to 2¢, because of World War I. These postcards then became called "Penny Postcards."







The one above are of California, but each state, in fact each county in the U.S. is represented by a number of these historic "Penny Postcards."



This one of Buds Barbeque, Hilliard, is from Nassau County in Florida.

And from my hometown of Toledo, Ohio:



Yes, believe it or not, we DO have a yacht club and yes, it does have a marina today with proper yachts that sail in Lake Erie, along with other water craft.

I have spent the better part of the morning (shame on me) perusing this website:

Penny Postcards

If you would like to see how your hometown (or any town/city in the U.S.) was pictured and posted for a penny, click on the link above to see the website.  These postcards are not for sale, but they do take scans from collectors to add to their library if you are a collector or just happen to have a few of these beauties in your possession.

I warn you, it's a time guzzler but well worth the look!



1 comment:

Liz Mays said...

Now that was so cool! There are some really neat ones from my hometown. Love it!