EXPATS AGAIN

EXPATS AGAIN! Experiencing other cultures while enriching our global view.

Followers

ME

My photo
Munich, Germany
I am married to the love of my life and am finally able to shower him with all of the attention he deserves. I am now retired and living the life here in Europe. I am an American, he is an Australian, and this is our second overseas address. The first was Shanghai, China and now Munich, Germany. Come along and live the life with us as we continue our adventure of discovering all Europe has to offer.

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

Friday, August 27, 2010

2010 PATENT AND INNOVATION AWARD WINNER

Photo by Westin Paris, France

Whoo, hoo! Congratulations to my hubbyj!  He has been selected, by his company ( of over 50,000 employees globally),  as the winner of the 2010 Patent and Innovation Award.  The ceremony will take place in Paris, France and they will be flying us there to attend.

Guess who gets to go too!  

I am so thrilled to be a part of this prestigious ceremony and share in the well deserved honor that my hubby has earned. (Watch for future photos!)  

Much of this year has been a whirlwind of activity, trips, and long hours of meetings for him.  This award is a direct result of the four patents he has written for a new type of solar glass.  I can't go into all of the specifications, primarily because they are too technical for me to even understand, but it will basically be thinner, stronger,  more flexible, and cheaper to produce than any kind of product that exists now.  This will make it a preferable solar glass for many manufacturers.  Cool, eh?

Stock Photo by Getty of Place de la Concorde

His company's board of directors sent us the invitation and as this years "winner" he will be able to meet with them and colleagues from around the world in a patent and idea exchange .  Meanwhile, spouses/partners, will participate in cultural activities and enjoy the atmosphere of Paris by attending the events scheduled for us.

Photo by Westin Paris, France



I plan to save a chunk of time for this wonderful spa.  (Hey, it's hard work being married to the recipient of the Innovation Award--big smile.)  And since spas are literally wasted on him (like giving "strawberries to pigs," he says), I will be more than happy to take his place, tee, hee.  

Photo by Westin Paris, France
 The hotel (posh, eh?) is located on the Place de Concord, the largest square in Paris and  covering an octagonal area of over 8 hectares.  It is in the very center of Paris and  opens up into the Champs Elysee.

Photo by Paris, France

We have been to the Westin before, but never in Paris, France.  But leave it to the Board of Directors of his company to select one of the most spectacular venues in Europe to celebrate.  You know you will be well taken care of when you travel as they do, even if it is only for one weekend. 

Photo by Westin Paris, France    
Another luxury, for me at least, will be to breakfast in the gorgeous atrium.  (Guess I'll have to stray away from my morning oatmeal routine, ya think?) 

I was informed that there is a special "dress code" for this weekend.  Now I have a few dressy outfits, but nothing one could actually call "formal wear."  Since the men will be in black tie, it means the gals will have to dress formally as well.   Good thing we live in Munich and there are oodles of stores that cater to this kind of thing.  The weekend in Paris is September 17-19,  so I'd better get out there and start shopping. 


Thank you, sweetie, for all of your hard work in making this weekend possible for us.  You are just full of surprises.  You deserve this honor and I am thrilled to accompany you. 





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congratulations! Paris.... whoooooooooopeeee!

Kristin said...

Congrats to both you and your husband! It's nice that his patents will help the environment too! Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Expats Again said...

Planetgermany, Wow, is right. I can hardly contain the excitement. Our first time to Paris together.
Kristin, thanks for your congratulations. I am so very proud of him and the work he has done.

PiNG aka Patti said...

What an honor! And I'm sure you will have a glorious weekend of pampering and partying!

Mary said...

What a great thing! Congrats and have a wonderful time on your trip... eat lots of cheese and baguettes, and chocolate